Tuesday, April 26, 2005

How Many Knitters Does it Take...

...to untie this freaking knot? The correct answer is 3. The first 20 mins of Sn'B last night was spent working on Al's shoelace type yarn that had the most confusing knot I've ever seen. In our defense, it was a very tight knot.



The rest of the night, I spent working on this...



I know I'm pretty late to the Clapotis party but it's a great pattern (very fun to knit) and I'm looking forward to finally having one of my very own. I found the perfect shade of espresso bean brown on our shopping trip to Cricket Cove. It's a 50% wool/50% cashmere blend and came in a GIANT 600m+ hank. I have to admit, I was a little disappointed when I saw the price tag (it was $75 and seemed a bit much) but some crazy person had hung this gorgeous stuff on a NAIL!! A cashmere blend casually hung on a NAIL!! It may even have been rusty...

In any event, at some point, this rusty nail had damaged the hank breaking about 8 strands so I got a huge discount on it and walked out a very happy camper. I was a bit worried about the damage but once I started balling it up, it all turned out to be at one end (as I had hoped and the shopkeeper had assured) and I got 8 teeny tiny balls and 1 giant one that should be plenty to finish it up.

Now, because I know that I will never find anything even remotely close to this yarn in that shop or any other (it didn't even have a brand label on it), I'm almost certain to run out. Especially now that I've come out and said it - I should have just carried on confidently. Drat. Maybe I'll play it safe and leave out one of the repeats on section 3. Hmmm...did anyone go over on yarn with Clapotis??

6 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

Oooh, I am jealous of your yarn bargain! I think a snuggly brown 50% cashmere wrap would have been worth it for sure (especailly if that was $75 CDN).

I haven't made Clapotis myself but I know I have seen people running short around the blogs--better to leave out one repeat then end up with a corner you can't finish off, I should think.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Oooh, I am jealous of your yarn bargain! I think a snuggly brown 50% cashmere wrap would have been worth it for sure (especailly if that was $75 CDN).

I haven't made Clapotis myself but I know I have seen people running short around the blogs--better to leave out one repeat then end up with a corner you can't finish off, I should think.

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that yarn sounds like a bargain to me, especially with the discount. if you've got 600m+ that sounds like it should be plenty... I can tell you from personal experience that the decrease section used about 110 metres - exactly one skein of the yarn I was using. I've just started another Clapotis for my mum. I was hoping to get to knit one for myself, but I dont know if I could manage three!

5:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woo hoo! Yarn bargains make stash enhancing all the more fun.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I think you you should have plenty to finish the clapotis. You hardly made a dent in the ball from what you had done at the S&B Monday.

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm knitting one too! Noro Silk garden colour 53#. I just bought some Rowan Spun DK in grey off E-bay for £8.50 sterling I think it is destined to be Clapotis no 2. I'm jealous, you have got to the dropping stitches bit, I'm still on the increases. It's my travelling project and I don't seem to be doing much travelling at the moment. I like your stitch markers they're pretty!

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home