Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Petites Mitaines



A friend of mine recently had a baby and I've been quite negligent with the knits what with Xmas and all so I finally cast on some little mittens for her.



The stitch pattern is either fleur-de-lis or peeled banana depending on your perspective...



I decided to go with the thumb-less, corded version rather than the usual cuff mainly because it looked more feminine and also babies don't need thumbs on their mittens anyway, right?



I hope they keep this little one cute and cozy this winter!!

Project Specs:
Pattern: Petites Mitaines en Fleur-de-lis from Favorite Mittens in the 0-6mos size
Yarn: Knit Picks Palette - same colors I used on my latvian mittens back in Dec.
Needles: Bamboo 2mm DPNs
Comments: This was a fun and quick knit. Not having to knit thumbs made this much less finicky than it could have been - to be honest the worst part was having to knit the little i-cord ties! I would definitely turn out another pair of these in future.

14 Comments:

Blogger the knitrider said...

Oh my those are so adorable! good job! I wonder if I even need thumbs on mittens. That might give me some incentive to knit some for myself...

8:45 AM  
Blogger Marsha said...

Cute Mitts!

8:57 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Adorale--and so so petite! Babies definitely don't need thumbs--but I've learned that they do need the i-cord: they'll fling those things right off without it!

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are so cute! and yes babies don't need thumbs on their mittens in my experience.

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tres belle! Insanely cute!

I agree, thumbless is the way to go - I mean, really, when is the last time you saw a baby in gloves?

10:38 AM  
Blogger Christy said...

So cute.

7:53 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

What a pretty combination of colors, and I agree about the thumbs too

9:25 PM  
Blogger nuttnbunny said...

Supremely lovely! Half the time my 3 yr old doesn't get his thumbs in the holes, so the shorter variety definitely won't miss them.

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The little tie is so smart! And leaving out the thumbs seems like a good move. I'm not sure most babies are doing a lot of opposable-thumb tasks.

Just adorable. Perhaps I shall make some for my cats. :)

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are so pretty! I'm sure they'll be loved.

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sweet! I agree, no thumbs on tiny baby mittens is the right way to go.

6:26 PM  
Blogger Samantha said...

Adorable. :) You're right, babies don't need thumbs ... it'd be useless anyway, because getting their thumbs in would be impossible. LOL

7:51 AM  
Blogger CelticCastOn said...

how stinkin cute!!!
Those are gorgeous, who wouldn't love to receive those!

7:01 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Hi Vicki
thanks for the mittens. Annie will love them (so long as her hands don't grow too big before we see you next - grin).

5:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home