Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Happy Holidays!!

Bigsy wishes you all a Merry Christmas!!



All gifts are finished and wrapped so I've finally got time to pull together a little blog entry. First up are a couple of twin scarves. This was such an easy TV pattern that I did it twice. They are going to sister-in-laws on both sides of the family.



My brother is getting a seamless sweater from EZ's Knitting Without Tears. I had a laugh at this picture - it looks like a miniature sweater - it's actually a men's LG - about a 48" chest.



It's the saddle-shoulder...please ignore the pine needles on the floor - we were near the Xmas tree (and my house is a disaster right now).



I made the mistake of not deciding on the hem color before starting the sweater so added it later and had to hand-stitch it down - it still looks fairly neat but the stitching was kind of a pain after completing a "seamless" sweater. :-)



My mom is also getting a sweater - this is Grace from DB Cotton Angora. It's actually a beautiful shade of sage green but try as I may, it looks grey in photos. I'll try to get a pic of her wearing it over the holidays - it looks great on and is super cozy.





Finally my own personal favorite. Latvian mittens for another sister in law. Sigh...I love them.



I striped the palms rather than carrying the pattern all the way around - should make for a sturdier, longer lasting mitten.



And the guts cause I know folks like to see them...



They fit me perfectly! Do you know how hard it is to give these away??



See you all in 2007!!!


Project Specs:
1. Twins Scarves
Pattern: A freebie from: The Woolworks/London-Wul
Yarn: London-Wul Shepherdess (60% merino/40% angora) for the pink and another London-Wul blend that I think was polworth/angora for the grey.
Needles: The recommended 5mm - I used bamboo.
comments: An easy, satisfying TV knit. And a good way to great yardage out of a single skein. I believe these were 120m skeins and I used one for each.

2. Seamless Sweater
Pattern: Saddle-shoulder seamless sweater from Elizabeth Zimmerman's 'Knitting without Tears'
Yarn: 100% wool from Briggs and Little in Brown Heather - they sell by the pound so a very affordable gift. I believe it took about 6 skeins total.
Needles: 4.5mm circs throughout
comments: I really enjoyed knitting this - the body and sleeves were great for TV knitting and you feel really clever as you begin to work the saddle seams. I will definitely be making more seamless sweaters!

3. Cabled Sweater for Mom
Pattern: Grace from Debbie Bliss 'Cotton Angora'
Yarn: Jaeger Shetland Aran in a special dye lot (sage green) bought from eBay - $65USD per pack - I've got about 3.5 balls left over so got some great yardage.
Needles: I was able to get gauge on the recommended 4.5 and 5mm.
comments: An extremely cozy knit and I would definitely use the Shetland Aran again if it holds up well to wear. There were a couple mistakes in the pattern and they only gave one version of the sleeve which is a bit narrow through the wrist in my opinion for a size LG sweater...other than that, a great project with very satisfying results.

4. Latvian Mittens
Pattern: Kurzeme Mittens from Lizbeth Upitis' 'Latvian Mittens' - chart 108
Yarn: Knit Picks Palette - there is plenty left from the 3 balls for 1 or 2 more pairs of mittens.
Needles: 2mm bamboo
Comments: It was a challenge to get these started properly - just to sort out the charts for the size I was making and to lay out the stripes but I'm very happy with the end result and will definitely be making more. Next pair is for me!!!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laughing at the look on Bigsy's face. He doesn't look that merry.

I am in awe of your FO's! The mittens are so perfect (even the guts look good). The saddle shoulder sweater has been on my mental to-do list ever since I saw Brooklyn Tweed's.

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to see a new post. No wonder it's been a while, you've accomplished some amazing knit gifts. Love that you included all the info about them. You'll be making lots of people happy this Christmas. I seem to have an urge to knit mittens, hmm, wonder why?

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've missed your posts! looks like you've been a busy! the mittens are fabulous.

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow someone has been a busy bee :-)
Those mittens are something else!

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just beautiful knitting. Those mittens are wonderful!

6:03 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Oh, those mittens. I mean, all of it is beautiful--I especially love the sweater for your mom--but the mitten recipient better be watching her back, because I am about to fly up to Canada and steal them. I really love the palms-you can bet I'm going to be stealing that idea!

Merry Christmas, Bigsy! (And, of course, Otis. Bailey wishes to state her opinion that there needs to be more Otis.)

7:05 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

I'm just about to join the body and sleeves of my own saddle-shoulder EZ sweater -- looking forward to all the fancy (not really) decreases! Your knits are all beautiful, especially the mitts. Have a lovely Christmas!

8:04 AM  
Blogger yarnivorous said...

Oh what lovely handknitted presents, especially those mittens!
Merry Christmas to you, stay warm and keep well.
(Is Bigsy really saying Merry Christmas, or is he saying HAND OVER THE FOOD, WENCH ?)

3:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh wow...your family sure is lucky!! beautiful knits!

9:58 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

I love the Latvian mittens! Can you tell me what colors of Knit Picks Palette you used? I am thinking of making some mittens with them too!

7:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home