Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Knitter's Block

Do you ever get it? Lots of yarn, plenty of patterns but no inspiration...I was on the verge of resorting to some striped potholders Sunday when I found these Elf Hats from Handknit Holidays. They're a super quick project and have just the right amount of whimsy.



Brad and I decided to spare you the spectacle of modeled shots. These will be for the ski slopes...you always need a silly hat for a ski day.

Saturday was a fun day spent at London-Wul taking a drop spindle class. Tanya organized lunch beforehand so I finally got to meet a fellow blogger and the rest of the Moncton crowd. A great group of girls! I forgot my camera but Tanya has some posted on her blog and she's also been spinning up a storm!!



The class was great - I was a little slow to catch on but managed to spin up a bit of something resembling yarn by the time it was over.

And, of course, I'm completely hooked. I bought a bit of fibre to practise with although I'm a bit worried about how to deal with the color so that I end up with something pretty and not a brown muddle.

This is some merino/silk...



And this is a bag of polworth...wish me luck!



Project Details:
Pattern: Elf Hats from Handknit HOliday
Yarn: Briggs & Little Super 100% wool (1 ball each light grey, dark maroon and pink)
Needles: 8mm circ and DPNs
Comments: My yarn did not match the gauge specified in the pattern so I had to upsize Brad's hat by 8 stitches or 2 sizes (he's got a large head) and I also started decreases on the hats 1-1.5 inches earlier than stated in the pattern to accomodate the extra decreases due to resizing and also to accomodate difference in row gauge.

13 Comments:

Blogger Samantha said...

Cute hats! I forgot I have that book. I should look at it again. :)

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the elf hats - I've been meaning to make some. Yummy fibre! I bought some polworth from London Wul's booth at Pacafiesta, she has amazing fibre...

2:01 PM  
Blogger knittingphilistine said...

LOVE those elf hats!! I've managed to pass up every opportunity to buy Handknit Holidays (they want HOW much for that book?! But...but...I'm a poor lil' grad student...) for many years now, and your sweet little hats just might have broken me down...

3:18 PM  
Blogger knittingphilistine said...

LOVE those elf hats!! I've managed to pass up every opportunity to buy Handknit Holidays (they want HOW much for that book?! But...but...I'm a poor lil' grad student...) for many years now, and your sweet little hats just might have broken me down...

3:22 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Love the hats! I was actually looking longingly at that pattern while I had the book out to knit my Log Cabin Socks. I think I need to make one!

6:05 PM  
Blogger nuttnbunny said...

Can't wait to see the green spun. Lovely hats! I, too, have been struggling with inspiration lately. More cooking than knitting!

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fun hats! I knew you would get hooked on spinning:-) the merino silk is such a pretty mix of colours and the polwarth is all my favourite colours mixed into one.

2:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somehow I missed that pattern in the book. Hmm, I am going to have to search it out again! Those little hats are cute and my son needs hats!

7:23 AM  
Blogger Kris B said...

Really cute hats. Good luck with the spinning.

10:11 AM  
Blogger AnnKnits said...

Thanks for the comments on my Blog. I am new to the blogging thing but having fun learning all about it. I just cruised through some of your archives, you are an amazing knitter! Love your projects. I have been spinning every day since the weekend class if even for a little while. I am not sure I am doing so well but I am determined to prove that you can teach an old dog a few new tricks.

Ann

2:09 PM  
Blogger The Gourmet Goddess said...

Nice hats. I've added that book to my wish list! And your Latvian mittens...sigh they are soo beautiful. I'm not nearly ready to tackle something that complicated. Maybe next winter!

CJ

5:03 PM  
Blogger Line (pronounced Lynn) said...

I love the hats! They are so unique! I will be while before I knit up a storm like you and Tanya seem capable of doing...

It was great meeting you on Saturday!

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those Elf Hats are so cute!

12:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home