Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Mending Toes...

This may go down in history as one of the most boring posts ever and for that, I deeply apologize.

Brad has a pair of those shoes that you just slide your feet into - I call them scuffs - I have no idea what someone with an ounce of fashion sense would call them. Anyhow, they have been re-christened...the "sock killers".





These socks obviously need new toes but those of you with really good eyesight will also see a weak point in the brown at the far left that needed duplicate stitching. These were perfectly fine 2 days ago - before the sock killers came to town. Booo! Hisssss! Booo!

An hour or so later...



Am I the only one amused by how squared off unblocked toes are?

Not to worry - I haven't been spending all of my time mending socks. I'm working feverishly on a baby blanket and yet another baby was born yesterday which will also require something fab. I need more baby knitting time - 9 months just isn't long enough somehow.

Oh yeah, and here's a bonus for you. Just a few days after I fixed these toes, he wore those shoes again and blew out a heel. I think it's time for the scuffs to take a vacation...a long one.

11 Comments:

Blogger Samantha said...

Nice repair job!! Yes, the scuffs must go ... though I think man-feet are partly to blame for the sock holes. Man-feet are nasty creatures. *lol*

You're right 9 months isn't nearly enough time.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Wow--seriously. Dump those shoes in the nearest bin--or feed them to Otis. Excellent repair work though!

8:42 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

Fantastic repair work! It's time for new shoes -- no doubt about that one.

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fab job no one would ever know and yes scuffs must go ... they could "accidentially" go missing somewhere on my property ... no one would ever know :) Considering all the other garbage that has to dealt with this week. You guys could stop buy for a quick look around and *POOF* they just magically just disappear. Fortunately though you would have backup foot wear in the car for him ... how convinent;)

8:59 AM  
Blogger yahaira said...

umm yeah, it's time to say bye-bye to those shoes.

great repair work though

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great repair and yes time to lose the shoes ( perhaps you could claim the dog ate them?)

Janine

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes, it seems it's about high time for new shoes :) But the repair work you did is amazing!

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing repair job!
I am a beginner and I am knitting a christmas stocking that has the same toe shape. I have done upto the very end of toe, but the instruction of the pattern is not clear enough for me to finish the last row to bind-off. Do you know how the binding off method called?

5:53 AM  
Blogger KnittenKnots said...

Hi Mika,
I didn't have an email for you so am posting a reply in the comments - hopefully you'll see it! To finish the toes on these socks I used kitchener stitch - it's pretty much invisible once you have it blocked. knitty.com has a really good article with instructions (and pictures) - it seems complicated at first but is straight forward once you get the hang of it! Here is the link: http://www.knitty.com/issuesummer04/FEATtheresasum04.html
Thanks for stopping by,
Vicki

6:35 AM  
Blogger みか said...

Thank you so much for the link!! This is so much easier to undestand if I have pictures.
I will try this tonight and finally I will have a finished stocking!!
I will be stopping by to see your nice work again.

7:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's some nifty mending. I like to call the sock holes "punk rock". Hee!

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home