Monday, February 20, 2006

Weekend Socks

This weekend was, I believe, the coldest weather we have had yet this winter. Brrrr!! We lost our electricity on Friday night and my feet were cold so I decided thick wool house socks would be just the thing.

I cast on for the striped Devotion socks in Weekend Knitting and by Sunday evening I had a finished pair. They really are warm too!



These socks are knit with an afterthought wedge heel - a technique that was new to me. You can see the purple yarn marking the future heel placement in the above picture - I cleaned up the "jog" that is clearly visible down the left side and made a minor adjustment to place it on the inner leg so it would be less noticebable. The Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook touts afterthought heels as the easiest to replace and I can see why. This pattern in particular switches to 1 row stripes at the heel and toe making it even easier to find your pickup row if you had to redo a heel. This results in a "bullseye" effect but I couldn't pretzel myself into position for a photo of that - you can see it a bit in this next picture.



See all those ends from just one sock!! Ordinarily, I wouldn't have the patience for all that weaving in but I was in a strange mood this weekend plus I had plenty of Olympic coverage to watch.

Finally, the obligatory happy feet shot...I'm not sure I would deal with the striping again but I would definitely reknit this pattern. It was fast, simple and resulted in a good fit.



Project Details:
Pattern: Striped Devotion Socks from Weekend Knitting
Yarn: Briggs and Little Heritage 100% wool in Washed White; 2 shades of green from MacAusland's Woolen Mills 100% wool
Needles: The recommended 4.5mm. I used 2 circs and the magic loop method rather than DPNs.
Comments: I would definitely knit this sock again although the stripes were a bit of a pain - I was working with worsted weight so carrying 2 colors across the back wasn't really an option in a sock - a solid color or something variegated next time.

10 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

OK--I can see not wanting to deal with all the ends, but those are SERIOUSLY cute socks! Well worth the work, I would say, and they look so warm and snuggly!

7:52 AM  
Blogger yahaira said...

so cute!
did the yarn soften up? I have some in my stash and I'm not sure what to make with it

8:36 AM  
Blogger Samantha said...

They looks nice and warm. :) What a cool way to make a heel.

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love, love, love this colorway!

12:35 PM  
Blogger emy said...

That pair of socks is lovely! I'll have to go try the afterthought heels soon :)

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your feet are so cute! love the socks.

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, these socks turned out so beautiful, exactly what feet need when it's so cold outside!
I can imagine very well how hard it was to deal with all the ends, but the result certainly seems worth it!
Best wishes from Austria!

1:38 AM  
Blogger yarnivorous said...

I was thinking those are seriously cute socks and wondering where you got the self striping yarn? Then I saw the pile of ends... Oh.... not selfstriping yarn.... Eeek! All those ends!

1:09 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

I loved your socks so much that I went and ordered the book, Weekend Knitting. What an awesome knitting book, I just love the style of it. Thanks for putting me on to it... I think I'll stay away from the stripes though, but they do look so good.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Cat said...

Nice socks!!

6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home