Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Bad News...Good News

Let's do bad news first...Brad's mittens are hideous.



I strongly dislike these mittens. And I can give you 4 good reasons why...

1. I'm not keen on the color combo...Brad's choice.
2. The sneaky Handknit Holiday book took their photos at the most flattering angles. The back of the mitten when the flap is closed is not very attractive at all. (I've also taken my photo only at the most attractive angle if you can believe it...)
3. I made several ridiculous mistakes throughout the knitting of these that actually caused me to have to rip back and reknit on 3 different occasions. Not fun when you're working on a project you're not keen on.
4. By the time I had cast off the second mitten and realized that it was ever so slightly longer than the first (something I would normally correct immediately), I didn't care. So now I have to live with these mittens in my house where one is ever so slightly longer than the other. Bah!

But the bright side is that Brad inexplicably likes them...he really does. And the truth of the matter is that I think they might actually be cute if they were smaller - I would possibly knit these again in the ladies or better yet children's size. But this pair I'm going to try to put out of my mind and move on.

Now on to the good news...I finally steamed the edges of my ribbon scarf down.



I wasn't feeling the head shot this morning so just chopped it off...this would look sweet as a sweater accessory me thinks. I tried throwing one end over my shoulder the way I would normally wear a scarf and it made me look like a clown though so definitely not a wrapper - dangly only.

And finally, what am I working on now? A lace scarf with some alpaca cloud from knitpicks. So far so good although I must have ripped the first couple of repeats 8 times before finally getting into a groove. I think it was a psychological thing - my first foray into lace - plus the fact that I am extremely awkward with laceweight. It definitely takes some getting used to that thin fibre.



I know it looks like a rectangle of fluff right now but blocking is magic.

Project Specs:
1. Flip Top Mittens
Pattern: Flip Top Mittens from Handknit Holiday
Yarn: KnitPicks Wool of the Andes - 2 balls Fern/1 ball wheat
Needles: the recommended 4mm DPNs/3.75mm DPNs
Comments: I would not knit these mittens in the men's size again but I may try them in a smaller size. I think the kid's size would probably be really cute.

2. Ribbon Scarf
Pattern: Ribbon Scarf from Handknit Holiday
Yarn: KnitPicks Andean Silk - 4 balls Sangria
Needles: 2 - 5mm circs - longest you can find
Comments: This is the second Ribbon Scarf I have knit and I enjoyed both of them. The pattern is extremely straight-forward and simple - great for knitting while watching TV or movies.

8 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

I don't know ... I like the mittens personnally. and those scarves are wonderful! I can't wait to see the lace all blocked out... :D

7:49 AM  
Blogger Samantha said...

Okay, I do change my mind about the colours of the mittens ... while I thought the colours were super nice before I only think they're "okay" now. BUT, as long as the recipient is happy that's all that matters, right?

The ribbon scarf is lovely!! Is the colour accurate in your post because if it is, oh my, it's beautiful. :)

Happy Knitting!

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, the funny thing about being a knitter is that you are your most critical judge. I wouldn't worry about the mittens at all if he loves them. Would you rather make something you consider really beautiful only for the recipient to say "gee thanks" and you never see them with it ever again, or to make something you think is mediocre and have your recipient love it to pieces? Just be happy knowing that you made him really happy with them and that's all you can really ask for. =)

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I felt the same about DH's broad Street mittens, perhaps it is something to do with the shape?
the ribbon scarf is really lovely and the lace looks great:-)What pattern is it?

10:43 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

i dunno -- i'm really partial to that green/yellow colorscheme and think it looks fetching!

and the scarf is just to die for!

7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had wanted to knit those mittens, but now I'm not so sure. Shame that the book didn't show the mitts properly. But the purple scarf looks really great! Can't wait to see your lace all blocked.

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like your ribbon scarf. Good job, Vicki. BTW, does anyone know where I can get the famouse "PURITAN" crochet cotton or "DE LUXE" quality crochet cotton? Does walmart or Zellars sell it?

5:45 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

Where did you get the pattern for the Ribbon scarf? I'd love to try it out

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home