Thursday, January 05, 2006

Loose Ends...

My New Year's Resolution for 2006 is to start knitting my Xmas gifts in July. ;-) Just kidding although I really didn't get much done in the way of Xmas knitting this year. Jack got his doggie sweater and loved it as expected. And almost 1 year old Elise enjoyed her poppy bolero. But the pony blanket really cut into the rest of my Xmas knitting.

I managed to finish this ribbon scarf for my soon to be sister-in-law from Handknit Holidays.



And I've also got a Xmas Clapotis blocking for Brad's mom. I had planned to make her a lace scarf but time was getting short so I cheated...we're heading down to visit them this weekend so Xmas Clapotis is still blocking.



I'm still working on some sturdy work socks for Brad's dad - he loves handknit woolen socks but this is the first pair I've made for him. It's a little nerve wracking because Brad's grandmother knit all of his dad's current socks and she passed away several years ago now. Let's hope mine can live up to the standard.

My sock knitting was interrupted on Monday by this little one. Ashlyn Patricia came a month early to Brad's sister.



I had plans for a baby blanket but as soon as I heard it was a little girl, I got out the needles and cast on for these! This is the bonnet and booties from Knitting For Two. I still need to block and seam so expect some finished pics and more project details tomorrow.



The bonnet is knit all in one piece which I thought was great but check out the fussy booties. It is ridiculous how many ends will need to be sewn in...the pattern calls for you to break and rejoin the yarn several times. Very odd but they should be pretty cute. I'm going to pick up some buttons for them today.




Project Specs:

1. Ribbon Scarf
Pattern: Ribbon Scarf from Handknit Holidays
Yarn: Andean Silk from KnitPicks in Hollyberry
Needle Size: 6mm
Comments: I went up a needle size for this pattern because the Andean Silk gauge was slightly different - however, I ended up using closer to 5 balls than the recommended 4 and the scarf came out quite heavy. If I were to make this pattern again, I'd use a 5mm needle.

2. Xmas Clapotis:
Pattern:Clapotis from Fall 2004 Knitty
Yarn: Andean Silk from KnitPicks in Hollyberry
Needle Size: 5mm
Comments: I really enjoy knitting this pattern. I love that you control the size, length, etc. so easily. This one is about the size of an extra wide scarf - perfect for this time of year.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOu have been a busy bee! I love that red you have been using it is so cheerful in dreary old January.
Don't forget to post a picture of the doggy sweater, you know how we are all suckers for pet pictures:-)
Happy New Year!

7:58 AM  
Blogger Samantha said...

Holy moly, you've been busy. The clapotis and ribbon scarf are to.die.for. Simply beautiful. And the tiny little baby girl. How cute! The bonnet is adorable! I will have to look into getting myself Knitting For Two. Very cute. :) I'm glad your little brother liked his sweater.

Happy New Year.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Awwwww what a cute little girl! I barely got the slippers done for my family and am still working on the sweater for my sister-in-law. Fab job on all of it!

11:35 AM  
Blogger the knitrider said...

i love your scarves! that baby is one adorable girl! also that bonnet is one of the cutest baby bonnets ive seen!

8:07 AM  
Blogger yarnivorous said...

What a groovy baby bonnet! I guess all the ends of the booties can be used to make them up. Being able to finish off your Christmas gifts after Christmas must make it easier, though havign never ending deadlines is a drag.

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i LOVE that ruffle scarf! i want one. i need one.

9:33 AM  
Blogger Dani said...

what lovely projects! Clapotis looks so nice in red :) I totally understand what you mean when you say Christmas knitting in July.. I should have done it, I swear! And the baby! What a beautiful little girl.. Congrats to entire family :)

3:42 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

those are all wonderful projects! was it a nightmare casting on so many stitches on the ruffle scarf? it was worth it. love the deep red of that and the clapotis.

and what a wonderful little baby gal! the hat is wonderful, and i'm sure the booties will be worth it. i feel like i once made a pair with a similarly odd construction.

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home