Friday, October 14, 2005

The Moss Stitch Blues

The back of Salina is finally finished up - the sun is not supposed to come out for a few days so I figured I might as well take the picture anyhow! I had a few issues but nothing too major and they were all reflective of my own knitting technique - the pattern is great. It seems that my left-slanting decreases are much sloppier looking than my right-slanting ones so I ripped the armhole shaping a couple of times finally deciding it was as good as it was gonna get. Let me tell you - I cannot wait to finish this one up and wear it! It's been perfect sweater weather this week.



After finishing up the back last night, I cast on for the front. The first 16 rows of the sweater are moss stitch and being a "thrower", it takes me a fair amount of time to get through 1600 stitches of the stuff. So you can imagine my dismay when after finally getting through those moss stitch rows, I noticed this.



3.75mm needles. Arrrrgggghhhh - bonehead!!! The moss stitch is meant to be knit in 3.25mm needles and is noticeably larger than the back band. Oh well, at least I didn't get any further before realizing. So I'll be ripping and moss stitching again tonight. Very, very carefully this time. I may even have Brad double check before I begin - this is the second time I've done this although I only got 2 rows in before noticing last time. This is the first weekend in a while that we have no plans to do anything or go anywhere - sounds like heaven - I may even get Salina's front finished up if I play my cards right.

4 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Salina is so pretty I love the yarn used for it. I can't wait to see it :)

7:15 PM  
Blogger Dani said...

That stinks that the needles were too big, but its looking gorgeous! Hang in there.. you'll be wearing it in no time!

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooooh, good thing you caught that when you did! Now you don't have to frog the whole thing like me. ;)

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Vicki! You mention your left slanting decreases are relatively sloppier. Are you doing a SSK? You might want to try doing slip 1 knitwise, slip 1 purlwise then k the 2 sts together. It works better for me.

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home