Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Filler...

Well, there's more bathroom renovating than knitting going on at the moment. I could post a picture of the 3 or 4 inches I've got completed on Orangina panel #2 but really it's the same as last week's picture - just a little shorter so I won't bore you at least not with that particular item. I could also post pictures of our recently gutted bathroom but that is just too depressing. Instead...

The lovely Jacqueline tagged me for a meme last week that I thought was definitely worth thinking about...

5 Things I Miss From Childhood:

1. The Skating Rink - we spent 3 or 4 nights a week at the skating rink plus weekends when I was a kid. I figure skated and both of my brothers were hockey players. This may seem like a strange thing to miss but there are so many great memories! I loved being on the ice and they had the best hot chocolate ever.

2. THE BEACH - my parents' home is up on the cape right above the beach. A 30 second walk and you're there. I love the beach in all kinds of weather. A cool fall day where you need a blanket wrap is my favorite though - to sit down there with a book and your dog while the waves crash had got to add years to your life.

3. Childhood pets...our dogs Sparky, Lady and Cuddles - I cried myself to sleep for 2 weeks when Lady died. I was 24 and we got her as a pup when I was in grade 5. She was such a good dog.

4. Extended Family - I don't live that far away - about 5 hours but I still don't see extended family as much as I would like. Everyone within a mile of mom and dad's house is related to us and it seemed like all us kids were about the same age. Growing up with my cousins living next door was great - there are so many happy memories of games we used to play - even some of the fights we had are fun to remember. There were actually enough of us to have ball games and the best days were when dad and my uncles would take a break from mending nets or traps and come over to play a few rounds.

5. Last but not least I miss believing in magic. Santa Claus, the Toothfairy, the Easter Bunny - one year Santa left sooty boot marks all through the house and Rudolph left half of his carrot in the snow outside the window - now that was excitement. And of course, we can't forget Halloween - I miss getting dressed up and going trick or treating. It's makes me sad that most kids don't get the chance to trick or treat these days. I still decorate the house for Halloween and Otis always puts on his doggy costume for a walk that day...not sure what he'll be this year. In case you think I'm kidding, here's the photographic evidence that proves I'm completely cracked. ;-)

Here we have the best of the costumes. SuperOtis! His super "powers" include the ability to pee 50 times on a half hour walk, super sonic hearing that can detect the opening of any bag that may contain food within a square mile, and powers of attraction that are irrestible to little cats who scare the heck out of him. Sadly, cheddar cheese is his kryptonite.


And here we have the worst of the costumes. Otis the Friendly Ghost. That is a pillow case but Brad thought it looked like an old pair of underwear - even Otis seems to sense this is not a cool costume. They can't all be winners folks.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL. Those photos of Otis and your comments on this outfits are so funny. Thanks for the giggle.

Thanks for reminding me about the meme. I was tagged a while back and I'm still to respond.

7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hee hee. Your dog is a doll.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Wicked pics of Otis :)... I wouldn't say your completely cracked... I used to play hide and seek with my dog by tying a blind fold over her eyes and getting her to find me :D .. No that is cracked.

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love that dog! when we were kids I had a dog that we used to dress up as a baby and push round ina dolls pram. Looking back he was so tolerant:-)

1:11 AM  
Blogger yarnivorous said...

Love those Super Otis powers... esp peeing.... SO dog like!
Sounds like you had a great childhood - beach and more kids to play with than you could poke a stick at (before your mum yelled at you for poking sticks at people - you'll have someone's eye out with that!!!).

12:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe...Otis's costumes are a RIOT! I loved the one with the mask...he reminds me of Fat Albert's friend.

1:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home