Tuesday, June 28, 2005

What do you do on the hottest day of the year??

So let's talk about Saturday... Saturday was almost 40 degrees Celsius WITH extreme humidity and no breeze whatsoever. That kind of weather makes you want to melt. That kind of weather makes your clothes stick to you and your hair look like something a bird might call home. So what might an enterprising young Canadian woman do on such a day you might ask - surely she headed for the beach? Surely she didn't spend the day seaming and felting wool?? What can I say - I'm a sucker for punishment...

This is the Tab-Top Tote from Felted Knits - knit up in Briggs and Little Heritage wool (Red Heather) - I added 10 stitches to the cast on and about 3 rounds to the increases to make it a bit bigger. If I were to do this again, instead of adding extra tabs to account for the extra stitches at the end, I would space out the existing tabs as the top came out a bit busy. My favorite part of this project was the double-bottom. The second bottom panel was knit seperately, then you pick up the purl rows from the bottom of the bag and connect the bottom of the bag to the second bottom panel with a 3 needle bind-off. This made for a wonderfully smooth and sturdy seam.

Pre-felting...


Post-felting...


What's inside?? Felted Knits of course! And a swatch for Rowan Peace Cardi...


So, that's the end of the knitting content for today but I do have a self-deprecating story and some cute pet pictures to come for those of you who are interested.

Self-deprecating story first. We do not live in town - our house is out in the country and because of that we've got a pretty large backyard. Large enough that we don't mow with a "push" lawnmower. We've got a "ride-on" mower. This weekend, I decided that I would like to learn to ride the "ride-on" mower. It sounds like a very simple thing but there are lots of intimidating little knobs and levers that could cause much confusion for someone who has never done such a thing. Brad was very patient and explained all of the knobs/levers - I hopped on the mower and off I went! Now, a "ride-on" mower is not exactly a speedy machine so I did a huge slow circle of the backyard and as I was coming up the far side - I see Brad yelling something to me but I can't hear over the noisy engine. He continues to yell and then starts striding purposely toward me. I can't believe it - I'm sure he's being incredibly chauvanistic and is on his way over to tell little ole me how to "properly" mow the lawn. I'm getting ready to roll my eyes and tell him I'm a grown woman and just because this is the first time I've been on a "ride-on" mower, it isn't the first time I've mowed a lawn so please just let me do it my way. He's gets close enough for me to hear and before I can get a word out, he shouts with an amused grin "PUT THE MOWER DOWN!" Oh. Crap. Apparently, I'd just been driving around the yard - wasn't mowing a darn thing. Blush.

And now the cute pet pictures. Remember how I said Saturday was a make you melt sort of hot day? Well, you would think that the "boys" would want to have lots of space - maybe even spend the day in the cool basement? You would think so but this is what they did instead...

First, we've got Bigsy and Niblet. Understandable - cats generally enjoy warm places and although I thought it was a bit much for the heat, I didn't really think twice about it.


But later that day, I see Bigsy and Otis sharing the dog bed. This is much stranger since Otis does not enjoy the heat at all.


Finally, I walk into the room and see this! haha! Apparently Bigsy makes a better pillow than the pillow.

5 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Oh my god those photos of the pets, especially the last one, are too cute!!!

Love the bag ... It looks fabulous.

I can just picture you getting ready to be all indignant about the mower incident ... too funny. Sounds just like something that would happen to me ;)

11:59 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

TOO CUTE. I wish Bailey was mellow enough to use cats as pillows.

The bag is very cute too--I'm surprised at its construction because I would have thought those tabs would felt to each other. I need to get that books so I can progress beyond Buttonhole Bags!

7:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the bag! I may haveto knit one in the remains of the market bag wool. YOur dog is too cute, mine won't even be in the same house as the cats! Infact the cats have moved out and left him to it. The next door neighbours have sort of adopted them, they're not dog people.

2:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my goodness the heat/humidity... you can blame the lawnmower incident on your brain melting.

3:45 PM  
Blogger yarnivorous said...

Yucky weather! Ick! We don't get humidity much here in summer but we get hot blasts from the furnaces of hell, or so it seems. Not at the moment though - we will think we are in the freezer on Friday if the forecast holds out.
If we had a ride on mower, I'd be teaching my husband how to drive it. LOL.
Cute pics of the animals - I'm a guessing the cats rule....

4:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home