Friday, June 10, 2005

The Home "Stretch"...

Well, I'm on the home stretch and I do mean STRETCH with 'Mary' or, as Anna has termed her, the Ribby Wrap (try saying that 5 times fast). Just one sleeve to go - can I finish it up this weekend? I'd sure like to.

Check out how the rib springs in once it's past the needles...this pattern and yarn have got some serious stretch factor.



I'm not really sure how to go about blocking it though - at first I was thinking I'd block it to lie flat but I'm not sure if that is the right thing to do or if it should "cling" a bit - I don't want it to lose it's "sproingy" quality entirely. Oh well, maybe I'll seam and then block so I can get a look at a before and after - hmmm...maybe that is tempting disaster, it's definitely going to need a block of some kind. I'm sure it'll all work itself out. Has anyone ever blocked giant, sproingy cotton angora rib before??

I haven't been posting much recently since I didn't think anyone would be interested in seeing 1/4 of a sleeve - oh wait, there's 1/2 a sleeve - 3/4s done... ;-) Even I'm getting to the point of wanting the rib to end. Hopefully, there'll be some finished photos early next week.

I did get a couple of new books recently. I've been browsing through and they're quite informative. The Craft Night Girls are going to start doing a lesson in something the first Monday of every month. When my turn comes around to be the "teacher", I'm definitely going to do kool-aid dying (the sock book has great instructions). Nice and messy!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Becky has a great blocking slide show on Fluffa! ... but I also read someone else's blog (I can't for the life of me remember who) and she had basted her knitted pieces down and then pulled it the string to the tauntness she wanted and tied them down... that kind of approach may work really well for your stuff.
I can't wait to see it all done !!! how exciting!

7:36 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Hmm good question on the blocking--although in the pattern pic it looks like the rib is pretty well flattened out, no? I would defininitely say seam, then block, if the edges are flat enough to work with--that way you can get a feel for how flat you want to get it.

8:56 AM  
Blogger Dani said...

I would also recommend Fluffa's blocking tips.. very handy. I love your new books! I just got Twisted Sister in the mail that I am going to gift to someone :)

have a great weekend!@

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't belive how much that ribbing stretches! good luck with the blocking:-)

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home