Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Head in the Clouds

I was on PEI this weekend and caught the sunrise as I was letting the dogs out. This is the beach below dad's house. Ordinarily, the water would be ice packed but it's been an unusually mild winter and the ice floes are still pretty far out to sea. Anyhow, I thought I would add my own skyscape to the ones that have been popping up in blogland:



I also managed to visit MacAusland's Woolen Mill while I was on the Island. They make the most beautiful wool blankets and their production methods haven't changed much in the last 75 years. The old water wheel is gone but when you walk inside the building you still feel like you've stepped back in time - the floor and walls are bare wood - the machines look like they've been there forever and everything is clacking away - lots of noise. To get to their little shop on the top floor you have to pass through the production floor - you're literally inches away from the machines as they're running. You can even stand and watch for a while if you feel like it. Seems like a bit of a safety hazard in this day and age but I love it. I highly recommend a trip to MacAusland's Woolen Mills if you are ever on the Island...

Of course I bought a little of this:



The color on those skeins came out a little purplish - they're actually a gorgeous smoky dark blue. Very rich - this time around I got just enough for some socks.

And I got enough of this brown mix to make a sweater...



I really like the green and rose mixed into the brown - gives it a lot of depth. For anyone who has used Briggs and Little yarn, MacAusland's is similar in quality - lots of sheepy bits. Their colors are a bit more vibrant though - particularly their greens. The Cricket Cove shop in Blacks Harbour, NB carries MacAusland's wool and the lady who runs the store was telling me about their ordering process. There are no lot or color numbers on the hanks and MacAusland's mill is not computerized. In order to get a shipment of yarn, she actually has to snip a piece off her samples and send it to them to say what color she wants. Crazy, eh? I love places that live in the past...

So now that I have some new yarn, the question is: what sweater do I make? I've got a few on my mind...what do you think?

There's Demi...Streets and Yos just did a gorgeous one - but I'm not entirely sure it's right for my body type.


From the same Rowan Vintage Knits book, I also like Cherie. It's a crap picture but you get the general idea. This may be more suited to me in fact...


And then there is the Big Sack Sweater that I've been thinking about ever since I saw Anna's finished up last February...my, how time flies!


So ladies...thoughts, opinions, suggestions?? Do you have a favorite? I am wide open at this point...feeling a bit lost for inspiration at the moment.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

I really like Demi and Cherie both--I have plans for a Demi in the future myself. Cherie's probably a quicker knit, and a little (semi) instant gratification is never a bad thing!

2:18 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

oh my goodness -- pei is one of favorite places! my family went there when i was 12 and had just read "anne of green gables." i'll never forget those beautiful views.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Samantha said...

What a beautiful sunset. Simply amazing!! I've never been to PEI, but one day I really would love to. My dad went to PEI a looooong time ago and when he talks about it he always does it with such enthusiasm that it makes me want to go there even more ... Someday!

The yarn is all so delish ... I really like Demi, but I like Cherie too. If I had to pick one I'd pick Demi because of the lovely cable work involved ...

Happy Knitting!

7:01 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I like Cherie and the big sack sweater... but you know we should be making is Rogue ;)

LOVE the sunset that is picutre perfect... you should start talk pictures and making a line of post cards... first Nibblet in the xmas tree and now the sunset ... wicked!

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Cherie (the 2nd one) will look the best on you. I like it a lot b/c it looks so simple but it's really nice.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

I LOVE your sunrise photograph! What a beautiful scene.

As far as the sweater goes, I liked the last one the best, the Sack Sweater. The first one is really great, but you are smart to recognize it will only look good on certain body types. That's always been my biggest mistake in sweater making. I fall in love with the pattern but it looks horrible on me when I'm finished... makes for a lot of really nice gifts though.

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home