Monday, April 16, 2007

Back with a Blanket

Well, hopefully some of you have missed me while I've been away from the blog!! I never intended to take so much time inbetween posts but my grandfather passed away so I spent quite a bit of time on PEI and then just didn't get back to a normal routine til, well, now. I've been doing a bit of knitting...



This was to be a baby shower gift for a friend but I'm having second thoughts. The pink/purple combined with the feather/fan - is it too much? I'm thinking maybe. Plus it's not quite as soft as I hoped it would be...hmmmm. I'm not sure what to do with it. In a plain color and a softer yarn, there would be no question.



The intended giftee is a knitter so perhaps even if she doesn't like the busy nature of this blankie, she will appreciate the work?? Whatcha think?

Project Specs
Name: Feather & Fan Baby Blanket
Pattern: A simple feather/fan stitch across 154 stitches with 8 rows of garter at start/end and 5 sts of garter at each edge. The feather/fan I used was:
Row 1: knit
Row 2: purl
Row 3: (k2tog) 3 times, *(k1, yo) 6 times, (k2tog) 6 times* repeat from * to end of row. The last repeat will end with (k2tog) only 3 times.
Row 4: knit
Yarn/Needles: I used worsted acrylic for this project so it could be tossed into the wash but a more luxurious yarn would have made me happier in the end as it is not as soft as I would like. Needle was a 4.5mm circ.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I missed you! Sorry to hear about your grandfather.
I think it's a very pretty blanket and I think she'll especially love it if she's a knitter. Have you washed it? Sometimes acrylic can soften up considerably in the wash.

5:53 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

I missed you too and was also sorry to hear about your grandfather. All I can say about your blanket is that I couldn't believe how many blankets I used when my kids were babies, so it will be used and the acrylic will be appreiciated if the baby spits up with the regularity that mine did. I don't think it's too busy. I looks cozy and I bet it will be much appreciated

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I missed you too! I was on the verge of sending you an email to check you were OK. So sorry to hear about your grandfather.
The blanket looks fine, if you really hate the colour could you overdye it? I am pretty sure there are some dyes out there which will take on acrylic.

2:04 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Sorry to hear about your Granddad.

The baby blanket looks fab!

6:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you're back. Sorry about your Grandfather. Have you tried washing and putting the blanket in the dryer? Hopefully you have a swatch you could try. I've had acrylic soften up very nicely this way. I'm sure both will love the blanket.
Rita (ritaknitting at hotmail)

7:10 PM  
Blogger yarnivorous said...

Sorry to hear about your grandfather.
I like the baby blanket. Honest!

4:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your loss.

I don't think the baby blanket it too busy at all, I think it's gorgeous! Washing it should soften it a bit, I think.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Tanya said...

See how many people missed you... including me. Glad things are getting back to normal for you and I'm very sorry for your loss.

I like the colors and pattern... it looks perfect to me. Can't judge the feel of it, but one of the other suggestions that it might soften in the wash is a good possiblity. I'd definitely gift it.

1:31 PM  
Blogger nuttnbunny said...

There's never the right thing to say when someone loses someone they love. We're glad your back.

I dunno on the blanket. Looks delicious but if you have doubts... and don't like the feel of it.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Samantha said...

There you are!! I've missed you! I'm sorry to hear of your grandfather's passing. {{hugs}}

The blanket is adorable. :)

5:22 AM  
Blogger Line (pronounced Lynn) said...

I am sorry for your loss... Didn't really have time to miss you though since I haven't had time to check anyones blogs recently.

I just love the baby blanket. I would definitely gift it. I do not find it too busy at all.

5:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i'm sorry to hear about your grandfather but very glad that you are back and blogging.

i love the colours in that baby blanket! they are divine.

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home