Saturday, May 13, 2006

The Proof

Finally, my nemesis is completed. The baby blankie was finished up on Wed. night a couple of days behind schedule but it appears that all the cabling and counting was worth it in the end. I'm really pleased with the finished blankie but I will choose a much simpler stitch pattern next time.

The straight blankie...


The chilled out lounging blankie...


And because you can't get more than a picture or two in this house without a cat trying to steal the show, I give you blankie with a side of cat @ss...


The really good news is that we're seeing little Ashlyn tomorrow so there is a good chance I'll be able to get the much sought after blankie with a side of baby shot. Fingers crossed.

Project Specs:
Pattern: #7 Lavender Lace from Baby Blankets - Red Heart Booklet 0116
Yarn: Red Heart TLC Baby - this is a sport weight 3 ply 100% acrylic. I know you're thinking "gross!" and it truly was awful to knit with but it's completely machine washable and is ULTRA soft after washing.
Needles: 4mm circ - I also used a cable needle throughout as I found the yarn too splitty for cabling without a needle
Comments: In all honesty now that this project is completed, I couldn't be happier with it. However, knitting cables with this acrylic is something that I plan never to do again. I don't particularly enjoy working with acrylic on a good day but this seriously took the cake. I think the pattern is attractive when knit up but the only way I would ever put this amount of effort into knitting another one was if I were using a high quality fibre.

24 Comments:

Blogger Cat said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

Your blanket has the same colour as mine. "My" baby hasn´t arrived yet, as far as I know. I hasn´t talked to the parents-to-be since yesterday evening...

1:12 PM  
Blogger SpiderWomanKnits said...

Hi! New to your blog but your blanket looks beautiful! I am sure both momma and baby will be thrilled. I know what you mean about acrylic but washable+baby=happy mom. What a lovely gift :-)

4:06 PM  
Blogger yaiAnn said...

That's an awesome blanket! Sorry about the acrylic + cables combo.. ugh.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

Absolutely beautiful! I love it so much and so will the parents and baby. Good job!

5:44 PM  
Blogger craftoholic said...

wow, that blanket is gorgeous, very impressive! The kitty picture though is hilarious.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Beautiful--just gorgeous. And the parents will be utterly thrilled that it is washable.

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The blanket is beautiful, such impeccable and neat knitting. And machine washable is definitely good. By the way, your cat's pose is the funniest that I've seen!

3:38 AM  
Blogger the knitrider said...

what a beautiful blanket! the stitch pattern is beautiful and the color as well. it looks great even in acrylic, even though its not so fun to knit with :)

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gorgeous Vicki! You didn't cave to our pressure to just bind off and make it smaller...congrats

6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The blanket is beautiful!

2:21 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

The blanket is so lovely. What a wonderful gift.

7:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a perfect square of lovely stitches! That is a beautiful gift and I'm sure the parents will love it.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Samantha said...

Vicki, it is absolutely beautiful! Amazingly stunning and just plain WOW. Congratulations on the finish! :)

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you for sticking with knitting that blanket because it's turned out really beautiful! And the mom is sure to appreciate it's machine washability. :)

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yippe!!!! You got it done :D ... great job Vicki. I knew you wouldn't just bind off ;)

4:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! It is just begging for a baby to be wrapped in it... Great job!

3:12 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

Wow -- you are a patient woman! The blanket really is beautiful. The cat-@ss shot is *hilarious*! It could be the centerfold for the adult version of Cat Fancy. :)

9:14 AM  
Blogger Shell said...

It looks like all the effort was worth it. I'm glad that you stuck with it and didn't heave it into the ol' garbage can as threatened.

7:43 PM  
Blogger Saun said...

That blanket looks amazing. That looks like so much work just for a wee little one to enjoy.

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That blanket is beautiful. Could you tell me where to buy the booklet? It would make a beautiful Christening gift for my granddaughter when she makes her arrival next month. Acrylic yarn or no, you did a beautiful job!

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome blanket! Forget the naysayers who say TLC sucks; if it's washable and it's a baby blanket for a harried mom with no time, she'll totally appreciate it. It looks lovely!

- MJ

12:13 PM  
Blogger KnittenKnots said...

Thanks for all the great comments!! It made those last few white knuckle knitting days worth it... ;-) To the anonymous commenter who asked about where to buy the booklet (I hope you see this) - I believe I picked it up at WalMart - that was about 6 months ago so you may have trouble finding it - if so send me an email knittenknots@hotmail.com and I'll try to fix you up with a copy from here! Thanks! Vicki

6:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved that blanket so much I went looking for the pattern. Yours is prettier than the one in the book. Cant say I would have wanted that as much. It is lovely and you did a beautiful job. Also, I am a grandmother many times over and the only way to knit for babies is to use acrylic. If your going for the heirloom from a christening or something, you may want a lovely wool and silk, a cahmere, or another luxery yarn. If you want your gift to be used and retain its ease of use, you use acrylic. You have nothing to explain. It is beautiful! liz in CT

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home