Thursday, August 31, 2006

One Down....

I'm feeling very ahead of the game today. It's still August and I just finished my first Xmas gift. This has never happened before so let's hope the trend continues... Maybe...just maybe...there won't be maniacal and ill-fated last minute knitting in the car on the way to deliver gifts this year. One can always hope...

Trellis enjoying the cool late summer breeze...


Trellis enjoying the view...


Trellis all folded up and patiently waiting for Xmas morning...


Special thanks goes out to my favorite Guernsey Gal and lace-knitter extraordinaire Janine! Not only did she gift me the yarn to complete this project but she also offered sound advice re: using string for blocking instead of tres pricey blocking wires. It works people!! Thanks Janine! By the way, go check out the Mountain Peaks shawl she just completed. Absolutely gorgeous!

Project Specs:
Pattern: Trellis Scarf from IK Spring 2006
Yarn: Knit Picks Alpaca Cloud, 1 skein, color 04 Autumn
Needles: The recommended 3.75mm circ - I may have been able to go down to a 3.5 in retrospect.
Comments: I really enjoyed this project. It was my first time working with laceweight and although the 7 into 5 cluster just about finished me on the first couple of repeats, I've got to say once I got the hang of those, it was smooth sailing. I almost didn't want it to end. The blocking wasn't bad either once I followed Janine's advice. I just threaded a string down both sides and used it to keep the edges from scalloping - a few pins to keep it taut and it worked perfectly.

11 Comments:

Blogger Samantha said...

It is absolutely beautiful! I love it. :) I have finished two xmas gifts already -- a first for me as well. I'm going to cast on for #3 shortly, but I'm not sure yet what I'm going to be knitting. :)

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's so beautiful! congrats on starting early! i did too this year and am so glad because i can't believe it's nearly sept already...

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lace knitter extraodinaire? I'm not that good :-) That trellis scarf looks wonderful. Well done !

1:57 PM  
Blogger opportunityknits said...

Your Trellis is really beautiful, lovely colour too.

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sure do envy the recipient of that stole. It's beautiful.

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!!! I love it.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

Wowie! It's just beautiful.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

That scarf is absolutely beautiful. I didn't really notice it much in the magazine, but now that I see yours I'm giving it a second look. The people on your Christmas gift list are really lucky!

4:06 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

it's stunning -- and so if your photography! and it's a christmas gift? you must be totally proud of yourself.

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous knitting! What a pretty color too. Now I'm feeling all guilty about not having started any of my Christmas knitting. ;-)

12:49 AM  
Blogger Marsha said...

I've started my first Trellis and found the 'clusters' intimidating myself but think I've found a variation that will work for me. Your's is beautiful!! And thanks for the tip from Janine, I'll have to remember that come blocking time.

5:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home